DENNIS ODA / SEPT. 28
Save Our Sherwoods held a news conference and rally at the entrance to Waimanalo Beach Park and Sherwood Forest in September to discuss a lawsuit seeking to halt the city’s development of the park.
Mayor Kirk Caldwell announced Sunday via social media that construction of a controversial city park project will resume construction today.
The city originally said in January that it would continue with the first phase of the project to develop a section of Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, also known as Sherwood Forest, which represented a loss for opponents who voiced opposition to the project for most of last year.
“While there’s been a lot of emotion around the project, I think it’s everyone’s hope at the end of the day when this field is completed … people can gather here,” Caldwell said in a pre-recorded video statement.
Opponents of the project are reportedly back at the entrance to the park this morning, despite an email from the group Save Our Sherwoods asking residents to observe stay-at-home restrictions currently in place.
“The Mayor’s reckless, underhanded behavior is unethical and he is seeking to subvert our democracy during a health crisis. We know many of you have said you will stand in protest. However, to be clear, no one should violate the stay-at-home order or risk exposure to the coronavirus to protest these actions.”
The $1.43 million project is part of a 2012 Waimanalo Bay Beach Park master plan to develop the 74-acre Sherwood Forest, including the creation of hiking trails, a parking lot and a multipurpose field.
Opposition grew early in 2019, and the city later decided it would only continue with phase one of the project, which it said would cover around four acres and include an 11-stall parking lot and the multipurpose field. The original plan included the construction of a $32 million sports complex and a 470-stall parking lot.
Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.